Most pages are not linked to right PageLayout as it is referring to URLs on the development and testing servers, so the first step here is to find out how to update the PageLayouts of the pages to the new ones and to keep all the WebParts in each place in the corresponding Zone.
In the 160 old PageLayouts the Zones are not named with a descriptive name just the GUID, the WebParts are not named as well, so I need a tool that a user can use easily to migrate to the new PageLayouts in the proper zone.
And while I’m working on this tool, I figured out that many pages are including Closed WebParts that we will need to delete them for better performance (15 closed webpart in the homepage only, while the displayed are just 4 webparts). And some of them have no DLLs anywhere.
1. Make a sitemap for the portal, and decide what is the important sections to be migrated first
2. Break the inheritance for the MasterPages in the sub sites during the migration process
3. Make a list of all the pages in the portal with current PageLayout
4. Make a list of all the weparts and the current zones for each webpart
5. Save all the above information in a database
6. Make a page that takes the page URL as a parameter and displays the page information (PageLayout, Webparts (and the closed as well in red), Zones)
7. Make the page to be displayed as preview for an IE8 accelerator as you can see in the image below
8. Develop another page that takes the page URL as a parameter when clicking on the accelerator in case I need to change the PageLayout or the WebParts
9. From the managing page I can select the new PageLayout to the page just by selecting from the layouts list, but it will not be changed now.
10. After that select the new zone I want to add the webparts to, or I can select to delete it
11. I can also set the new PageLayout to all the similar pages that were taking the same old PageLayout
12. Also I can set the same new arrangements of the webparts to the similar pages that were using the same old layout and have the same new layout altered in the database
13. And I can see which webparts are not yet matched to a new zone, in case I have any webpart missing.
14. At the end I can just click on the button “Change” and the application will do it based on my settings